Student chokes during pancake eating contest

Sacred Heart University in Fairfield, Connecticut loses a student after she choked on a pancake at a pancake eating contest on campus on April 3, 2017.

20-year-old Caitlin Nelson, a student at the university and a contestant, started choking at the contest.Two nursing students who were there immediately rushed and gave lifesaving measures. They were quickly joined by police officers and paramedics.

Nelson was taken to a hospital in Bridgeport in critical but stable condition and transferred on Friday to New York-Presbyterian/Columbia University Medical Center.

Three days later on April 6th, Nelson died from her injuries.

She was from Clark, New Jersey, and was a junior majoring in social work at Sacred Heart University.

According to her Nelson’s LinkedIn page, she was certified in youth mental health first aid and volunteered at the Resiliency Center of Newtown, It’s a nonprofit group that provides free counseling and other services to people affected by the 2012 school shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, CT, where 20 children and six educators died.

Nelson’s father, James Nelson, was a Port Authority of New York and New Jersey police officer. He was killed in the September 11, 2001 attack in Manhattan. He was killed while trying to rescue people trapped in the World Trade Center. His obituary said he was survived by two daughters, 11-year-old Anne and 5-year-old Caitlin. Nelson was 40 years old.

Scared University officials said counseling services were being provided. “The SHU community is mourning today,” the school said in a statement Monday. “We ask that during this time you give Caitlin’s family and the members of the SHU community privacy while they grieve.”