What is the Jacket Ceremony?

On May 5th 2016 students, parents, and school faculty assembled after school in the Naugatuck High school’s newly remodeled auditorium to acknowledge the top 5% students in grades 10-12. Under the sponsorship of ION bank, the financial institute that not only shows its support of the high school with its own branch located in the cafeteria but also allows for students to earn internships and future jobs. The bank was able to reward these accomplished students with new school jackets and chevrons in honor of their outstanding performances in academics.

A total of 42 students  graced the stage to receive their awards. Deans of Students James Leary and Thomas Pompei awarded the class of 2016, 2017 and 2018 with jackets or chevrons, pins that commemorate their accomplishments.

After this recognition Janice Saam, principal, announced each senior, who was accompanied by a sponsor, a teacher chosen by that student. Thirteen seniors asked a teacher to write a speech that spoke to their character and accomplishments. The thirteen seniors are: Adam Antunes, Raymond Blair, Sophia Boucher, Sarah Bruneau, Brittany Burkman, Heyi Cheng, Jacob Custer, Michael Huzior, Scott Kostka, Meghan Lauer, Theresa Montoni, Kevin Okifo, and Allison Tortorici.

Mr. Tim Reilly, marketing teacher, when asked how he feels about being asked to speak on behalf of not one but two students, responded joyfully. He stated that he feels honored and proud to be selected to speak for such great kids. Since being asked in years past he feels the program is overall great and a good way to spread recognition for hard working, fantastic kids.

Speech after speech each student, teacher, parent and or faculty member could feel the genuine honor and heartfelt love that these teachers and students shared. They shared academic, and athletic achievements along with personal laughs they have shared over the years, memories and time they could not give back and wouldn’t for anything. Everyone who participated in this event was deeply touched by all that was said. It was truly a sight to see. And for the many years to come we celebrate and congratulate those pursuing their excellence at Naugatuck High School.