Trump claims he would have run into Parkland High School

On Thursday, February 15, President Trump addresses the nation from the White House a day after a shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland High School

Jade Langlois, Staff Writer

On Monday, President Donald Trump claimed that he would have run into Parkland High School, “even if I didn’t have a weapon.”

At a meeting with state governors, Trump referenced that an armed sheriff’s deputy stood outside for minutes as the gunman opened fire within Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School on February 14.

“You know, I really believe — you don’t know until you test it — but I really believe I’d run in there, even if I didn’t have a weapon,” Trump stated. “And I think most of the people in this room would have done that, too, because I know most of you. But the way they performed was really a disgrace.”

Donald Trump has even promoted the idea of arming teachers to defend themselves and students. Democrats and Republicans have voiced opposition on this idea.

White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said, “I think he was stating that as a leader he would have stepped in and hopefully been able to help, as a number of the individuals that were in the school, the coach and other adults, and even a lot of the students stepped up and helped protect other students. I think the point he was making was that he would have wanted to play a role in that as well.”

Trump, however, is not alone when he points out the failures in responding to the Parkland shooting. But all of his bash comments seem to stand out, especially since this wouldn’t be his first time claiming he could have taken down the gunman.

In the aftermath of the Umpqua Community College shooting that left 10 people dead, including the shooter, Trump said that as a holder of a permit to carry a handgun, the attacker would be “shocked,” if Trump had encountered him.

“I have a license to carry in New York, can you believe that?” Trump said at the 2015 rally in Tennessee. “Somebody attacks me, they’re gonna be shocked.”

During Trump’s lunch on Sunday with Wayne LaPierre, Trump made a message to everyone. “We have to have action. We don’t have any action,” Trump complained. “A week goes by, ‘Let’s keep talking.’ Another week goes by, we keep talking. Two months go by — all of the sudden, everybody is off to the next subject. Then, when it happens again, everybody is angry and, ‘Let’s start talking again.’ We got to stop.”

Later that day when Trump claimed he would have run into the school. The White House was asked if his comment was intended to mean that he would have saved the day, and whether he had training that is required to even use a firearm in that state.

Trump actually believes that he would run into a building where there is an armed man. This is coming from the same man who said, “I’m not good for medical. … If you cut your finger and there’s blood pouring out, I’m gone.”

The reality is we never really know how you would react to a situation like that, no matter how prepared we are. And honestly, everyone already knows what our President would do in a terrifying situation.  Remember when he ran from a bald eagle? An emblem of the United States of America.

Trump claims he is trying to make it harder for just anyone to buy a gun.

“There is no bigger fan of the Second Amendment than me but there’s a need to boost background checks and ensure that a sicko is unable to get a gun,” he said.

Overall, there would be no reason for Trump to run into such a scarring and traumatic scene if there was better gun control.