Beloved Friends actor Matthew Perry dies at 54

NBC News

Beloved comedy actor Matthew Perry passed away in the jacuzzi of his Los Angeles home this past Saturday. Most popularly known for his work in comedic roles, friends, family, and fans are mourning the loss of arguably one of the most talented actors of his generation. Perry was only 54.

Despite the completion of the autopsy, the cause of the late actor’s death has been deferred by the Los Angeles County Medical Examiner-Coroner. According to a bystander, it appears as a drowning. Law enforcement declared that no drugs were found on the scene nor did they find any indications of foul play. The medical examiners have run a toxicology report which takes about 4-6 weeks to come back.

Perry was found by his assistant who noticed that his head was underwater. The assistant proceeded to raise his head above the water and call emergency services. In the call made to 911, they reported a male in his 50s who seemed to have drowned. Perry was declared dead when law enforcement arrived and was immediately brought to a medical examiner. 

Perry was an actor who was able to completely become his role. He is most popularly known for his role as Chandler Bing in the sitcom Friends, where he acted in an ensemble alongside Jennifer Aniston, Courtney Cox, Lisa Kudrow, Matt LeBlanc, and David Schwimmer. Some also may know him for his role as Alex Whitman in “Fools Rush In” which he filmed with Salma Hayek, and his role in “17 Again” with Zac Efron. 

Perry first pursued acting at the age of 15. By the time he got his high school diploma he landed his first role on the TV series “Second Chance” in 1988. In the early 90s, he was on shows such as “Beverly Hills 90210” and “Home Free.” At 24 years of age, he landed his big-time role in Friends where he spent 10 years. By the time the show ended, he was an international celebrity and a household name.

Despite his quick rise to fame, his life behind the scenes was not so glamorous. During the 10 years that he filmed friends, he struggled with opioid addiction after being in a watercraft incident and struggled with it for many years. “From an outsider’s perspective, it would seem like I had it all. But it was actually a very lonely time for me.” For years he tried his hardest to get sober and thankfully towards the end of his life he met his goal.

In his 2022 memoir Friends, Lovers, and The Big Terrible Thing, he talks about life before his hit sitcom Friends, his desire to have a wife and family, and the struggles that came with his alcohol and opioid addiction. According to his memoir, the cast of Friends played a big part in his sobriety and were always there to comfort him during those difficult times. “They were understanding, and they were patient,” Perry said. “It could be said that [doing the show] saved me.”

The cast of Friends released a joint statement on Perry’s death. “We are all so utterly devastated by the loss of Matthew. We were more than just cast mates. We are a family. There is so much to say, but right now we’re going to take a moment to grieve and process this unfathomable loss. In time we will say more, as and when we are able. For now, our thoughts and our love are with Matty’s family, his friends, and everyone who loved him around the world,” This message was signed by Aniston, Kudrow, Cox, LeBlanc, and Schwimmer.