Georgia Tech student killed by police

A campus police officer shot and killed Scout Schultz, the president of a gay and transgender student group outside a Georgia Tech dormitory in Atlanta on Saturday, September 16th. The student died from a single gunshot wound.

According to the Georgia Bureau Investigation, the student had a history of mental illness, had 3 suicide notes in his dorm, and allegedly wanted  to die.

During the incident, Scout, who was armed with a knife,  demanded the police to kill him. The officers are on paid leave while the incident is investigated. According to police protocol, the officers followed their training when dealing with an aggressive person.

Many people see the incident as controversial because of the resulting death.

“It would have been nice to see them armed other than guns. If it didn’t result in a death but if they did the only thing they could then I have to understand that,” said Mrs. Carolyne Dymond, an English teacher at NHS.

Before the incident, Schultz called 911 to report a suspicious white male with long blonde hair on campus holding a knife and possibly a gun, said the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.

According to CBS News, Scout’s father said, “Why did you have to shoot? That’s the only question that matters right now. Why did you kill my son?”.

“Now we’ll never know what Scout might have come up with,” added his mother. She stipulated that he was “well-liked” on campus with an outstanding 3.9 GPA.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation is still investigating the incident..