University of Rochester professor put on administrative leave after sexual harassment accusations

T. Florian Jaeger, 41,  a brain and cognitive sciences professor at the University of Rochester, has been recently put on leave after 14 sexual harassment complaints. Jaeger has worked at the university for over a decade and the university has defended the professor against repeated accusations in the past. Jaeger was accused of these assaults back in June 2016, but the charges pursued into September of 2017.

Jaeger has been accused of using illegal drugs, making inappropriate and humiliating comments about female faculty and students as well as pushing them to meet with him outside of the classroom.

The 41 year old professor was known for sleeping with graduate students from his class. The complaint reads, “Jaeger slept with so many students at UR or other institutions and made passes at so many others that his penchant for having sex with graduate students became well known among Ph.D.s and post-docs.”

The University of Rochester President, Joel Seligman, had planned to start an individual investigation for the matter as well as a committee to review the guidelines on sexual assault conduct at the university due to the conflict on the university’s handling of the situation.

Florian Jaeger stopped teaching for the semester since the university had put him on leave. Previously after Seligman chose to open the individual investigation, he stated that, “We need to cleanse the distrust… We need to protect all of us.” A committee has been put in place to complete Seligman’s investigation.

The university has also dismissed the women’s complaints, including those from female staff until the Federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission stepped in, to defend the victim’s cases.

There was also a protest held at the town hall following the controversy on the university’s mishandling of the situation after the university cleared Jaeger of sexual misconduct charges.

Lindsay Wrobel, a victim of Jaeger’s sexual misconduct, went on a hunger strike starting September 13 demanding for the university to fire Jaeger as another form of protest. After Jaeger was put on leave, Wrobel ceased the hunger strike which has caused damage to her health.

Recently, Joel Seligman stated that the University made an error of promoting Jaeger in the midst of controversy, which has now “damaged” the university’s reputation.

Seligman said, “And it’s not that after an investigation one can’t be promoted if it’s justified on the merits, but in the pendency of a serious investigation of this nature, it was wrong to promote him.”