The horror season begins

Haley Joel Osment in The Sixth Sense

Haley Joel Osment in The Sixth Sense

Horror Freak News

Horror Freak News

Haley Joel Osment in The Sixth Sense

Jade Langlois, Editor

Halloween is coming faster than ever this year and everyone is preparing for haunted houses, costumes, decorations, etc. But personally the best part about Halloween is the variety of old and new horror movies that invade our screens this month every year.

Some of the best movies are in the category of horror. Movies like Beetlejuice, The Addams Family, and Casper are the greatest and “spookiest”  movies to curl up in a blanket by the fire and watch for Halloween. Even children can enjoy these choices.

But those are not the only great movies to watch for Halloween. There are hundreds of different types of movies to watch during the month of October. There are some very scary movies and others are more children- and family-friendly.

If you prefer pure “horror” for a movie, some of the best rated are, It Follows, A Nightmare on Elm Street, The Exorcist, Paranormal Activity, and Halloween. These movies are believed to be some of the scariest movies in existence.

Although, if you do prefer the classics, movies like, Dracula, The Mummy, Dementia 13, and The Fly, is what you’re looking for. These classics have been around since the mid-1900’s and still continue to give people a fright.

Most movies were based off of these originals. Almost every scary movie you will watch has originated from an idea from one of these movies. Movies including vampires, mummies, werewolves, etc. originally came from Dracula, The Mummy, The Wolfman, etc.

If you are a person that prefers the newest and latest trends of horror movies than movies like Dracula and The Wolf Man is not what you should be watching. Some of the newest and best scary movies include Jigsaw, Happy Death Day, It, Annabelle: Creation, and even more.

Although if clowns are not your thing, It is highly not recommended. If you love blood and gory movies then Jigsaw would be your best to go to movie. If you like mystery but also a big scare, then Happy Death Day is a good choice.

Happy Death Day includes a girl who is murdered on her birthday, but every time she is killed, the day restarts and she wakes up in a dorm room. She must continue dying until she figures out who her killer is. Although the movie is scary, it includes lots of mystery and unexpected twists.

Movies like Coraline and The Nightmare Before Christmas are more suitable for children. They are animated movies that although can be spooky at parts, they’re more appropriate for kids and rated PG because both movies are directed by Disney.

Although, some scary movies can also be super funny. If you like scary but also comedy, then movies like Scary Movie 1-5 and The Haunted Mansion would be best. Scary Movie is a movie that hilariously makes fun of horror movies but keeps some of the scary in it so the movie doesn’t just become a comedy.

On October 27, 2017, the movie Jigsaw from the Saw series will finally be released. Jigsaw is about a mysterious mad man who rounds up a group of victims to play sadistic games of life or death.

You can also find tons of Halloween movies on Netflix. Netflix provides movies like Children of the Corn, The Awakening, The Sixth Sense, and The Host. If you do not have a Netflix account you can purchase one for $9.99 a month. This includes unlimited free movies and tv shows. Catch up on your horror sensibility.