Egyptian lawyer targets women’s clothing

Broadcast live on Egyptian panel show Infirad, prominent conservative lawyer Nabih al-Wahsh viciously argued that women who wear revealing clothing deserve to be sexually harassed.  

The debate was on the potential drafting of laws against prostitution and debauchery. However, al-Wahsh did not keep his composure whatsoever. Opposing women’s freedom of expression through clothing, al-Wahsh went to extremes.

“I say that when a girl walks about like that, it is a patriotic duty to sexually harass her and a national duty to rape her.”

In shock, surrounding panel members leapt out of their chairs, shouting at the lawyer. Obviously, these weren’t the only people offended by the statement. People across the country stood up against this controversial commentary. So many, in fact, that Egypt’s National Council for Women demanded the Supreme Council for Media Regulation not to invite people with such violent opinions toward women on panel shows such as Infirad.

But throwing a shade over these people doesn’t exactly solve the problem. Violence toward women has been an issue for centuries, but why?

Why should a woman’s worth be equated to the way she dresses? The answer is simple really, it shouldn’t. Nor should any harassment in any way shape or form be blamed on someone’s outfit choice.

It’s disgusting how someone would think [a person] would deserve to be harassed for wearing something revealing. Women should be allowed to wear what they want because it’s [their] body. You can choose to ignore what someone wears,” said Cassidy Healy, a sophomore at Naugatuck High School.

But how does the modern male view this story?

“It is unfair and wrong to treat women in a way that makes them feel vulnerable just because of what they wear,” said John Braziel, a sophomore at Naugatuck High School.  

There you have it. The same opinion from two people of different genders. Even at a young age, a majority of women feel the need to express themselves. Why should they not? It’s not that most women don’t feel comfortable with themselves or their clothes, it’s their real fear of people who think the way al-Wahsh does.