Coach praised as a hero

Back to Article
Back to Article

Coach praised as a hero

Inside Edition

Inside Edition

Inside Edition

Kelly Dwyer, Staff Writer

On February 14th, 2018 a devastating shooting took place in Parkland, Florida at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. During the shooting the assistant football coach and security guard, Aaron Feis(37), selflessly and defensively shielded some students from the shooter, sacrificing his own life. Many refer to him as a hero after dying for to save other lives, in which I agree.

Feis saw the shooter approaching students in the hall and shoved them out of the way, taking the bullets for them. As he did this, he didn’t even have to think twice. He saw that those innocent kids were in danger and fearlessly decided to shield them.

The school’s football team recently tweeted, “Aaron Feis selflessly shielded students from the shooter when he was shot. He died a hero and he will forever be in our hearts and memories.”

At Coral Springs Church by the Glades, friends and family praised to Feis for his bravery and dedication to every student.

“People called him the mayor of Parkland,” said former coach, Mike Virden, during Feis’s funeral service. “If you needed anything or anyone, he was the guy to go to.”

He died the same way he lived; he put himself second,” said spokeswoman for the family, Denise Lethio.

“He made sure everyone else’s needs were met before his own. He was a hard worker. He worked after school, on the weekends, mowing lawns, just helping as many people as possible,” Colton Hobb, a football player on his team, said.

“Everyone loved him. Shame he had to go like this. Always gave his all to making us better,” lineman Gage Gaynor said. “Definitely learned a lot from him.”

Over 1,000 people attended his funeral on Thursday february 22nd. As many made their way inside, the church’s two massive video screens showcased images of Feis standing on the sidelines in full uniform from high school, playing with his young daughter and embracing his wife on their wedding day.

He was very popular based on the amount of people that attended his funeral and all the students who confirmed how good of a person he was. He was always helping everyone he can and never put himself first.

“I’m glad he didn’t suffer that much,” Hobb said. “It’s sad because it’s not going to be the same without him at school anymore, that’s for sure. Football definitely won’t be the same. We’re definitely going to have to band back together as brothers and mourn his loss and pick up the pieces to try to rebuild our football team.”

Kelly Dwyer, Staff Writer

I am in 12th grade. I would like to become a writer. I enjoy writing and learning about new things.