High school in Michigan pushes modesty ponchos

According to CNN.com, Divine Child High School in Dearborn, Michigan told girls to cover up at prom or be assigned a bright pink modesty poncho. The school received backlash from students and social media, who agreed that the rule is completely misogynistic.

The ponchos came in variety of styles short sleeve and long but all in a  bright pink color.

According to USAToday.com, principal Eric Haley said, “Divine Child, like many other private and public schools, is simply asking students and parents to follow the dress code when selecting prom outfits.”

“Our intention with displaying the poncho was never to make students feel uncomfortable, but to remind all students and parents of our formal Prom dress policy, which has not changed for several years,” Haley said.

“To be clear: The poncho will not be passed out at Prom. It was on display to proactively remind students of our dress code policies and eliminate any confusion prior to this special event.”

Some people accused the school of body shaming the young girls.

“Our intention with displaying the poncho was never to make students feel uncomfortable, but to remind all students and parents of our formal Prom dress policy, which has not changed for several years,” Haley responded.