Texas high school dress code challenged

An online petition was posted by Jasmine Richards, a student at Shadow Creek High School in Pearland, Texas to urge administrators to re-examine an antiquated dress code.

Last week, a male student also from Shadow Creek High School was told to remove his makeup during school hours because he was in violation of the school dress code stating that boys may not wear makeup.  The unidentified student refused to remove his makeup and was given an in-school suspension for violating the dress code.

“He has the same rights as any girl to wear makeup if he wants,” said Richards in an interview with Local 12.

Local school officials are responding and cooperating with students on with issue to make some changes.

Concerns will be addressed when the committee meets to review it this time,” said Superintendent Daniel Combs in an interview with Fox News.

“It’s discrimination, whether male or female the same rules should apply for both genders. If boys aren’t allowed to wear make up then girls shouldn’t either,” said Ms. Kristen Crosswait, a secretary at Naugatuck High School.

The Texas student Jasmine Richards started a petition on Change.org asking for a change in the school districts dress code. The online petition quickly received nearly 2,000 signatures.

“These archaic rules were there in the 80s when I was in school nearly but come on!” she wrote. “It’s 2018, we are striving toward gender equality. There should be no gender rules when it comes to dress code.” said another Shadow Creek student Jennifer T.