Sully remains in service of late President George H.W. Bush

Back to Article
Back to Article

USA Today

USA Today

USA Today

Evelyn Diaz, Staff Reporter

George H.W Bush’s faithful service dog Sully remains by his side, after the former president peacefully passed away in his Houston home on the evening of November 30 at age 94.

In many touching photos, Sully is laying by Bush’s flag draped coffin as he says his final goodbyes and keeps guard over his beloved master..

“Keeping the 41st commander in chief safe in death as he did in life,” People News said in caption of the photograph..

In 2012, Bush had publicly announced he was suffering from Vascular Parkinsonism, a condition that limited his mobility, and that he would  soon be teaming up with ‘American Vet Dogs’ to receive a service dog.

The ‘American Vet Dogs’ is an organization that was created to provide independence and companionship to veterans with disabilities.

“A great joy to welcome the newest member of our family, ‘Sully’ a beautiful- and beautifully trained lab.. Couldn’t be more grateful especially for their commitment for our veterans,” Bush tweeted in June 2018 after meeting Sully.

Sully was specifically paired with President Bush to provide support throughout his daily routine. Sully could even answer phone calls and fetch items.

Sully is two years old and named after former U.S. Air Force officer and US Airways pilot Chesley Sullenberger III for saving 155 passengers during a flight in 2009.

Sully will be heading home this week to Smithtown, New York, where he was born and raised. He will continue working at Walter Reed National Military Center, where he will continue to provide help and embrace many veterans as they go through their journey of recovery.

Sully is working with two dogs in service at the Veterans’ hospital, Sgt. Dillon and Sgt.Truman.

Evelyn Diaz, Staff Reporter

Year: Senior
Ambition: Animal Tech
Main Interest: As I entered journalism I wanted to enhance my skills with writing about topics I like.
Favorite...