Escaped convict taken down by K9 Yoda

CNN

Earlier this month police finally captured Danelo Cavaclante, an escaped convict who had spent almost 2 weeks on the run, all thanks to K9 officer Yoda. 

Yoda is a four-year-old Belgian Malinois who formerly worked for the BORTAC K9 unit alongside the U.S. Customs and Border Patrol in El Paso, Texas. K9 Yoda is one of the many to thank for Cavalcante’s apprehension. However, Yoda’s puppy days were not promising for a successful future as a K9 officer. The heroic K9 was not known for being the most serious but his recent accomplishments have proven his trainers wrong.

After spotting Cavalclante in a thick underbrush, Yoda was released by his handlers to slow him down and prevent him from using a stolen firearm. The K9 had originally bitten Cavalclante’s scalp before grabbing at the convict’s thigh. The injuries were only minor compared to the injuries he faced while escaping. Thanks to Yoda, no law enforcement officers were injured. 

During an interview with The Greyhound News, Lily Dalton said “Yoda did his job well in capturing this very dangerous man. Yoda was trained very well for this event and I’m glad he was able to take this man off the streets.”

K9 officers play a key role in assisting law enforcement operations across the world. Their duties range from searching for drugs and explosives, locating missing people, protecting officers and civilians, and attacking suspects who flee from officers. These dogs go through intensive training as a puppy and come from long lines of other police dogs. They continue to work for most of their lives if they stay healthy and injury-free. 

The Warrior Dog Foundation assists K9s in the transition from a demanding working environment to retirement. They provide rehabilitation so are able to be adopted into a loving home. Their goal is to see all K9s rehabilitated and rehomed. When these heroes return home they often become euthanized because of their aggressive history which makes them intimidating to prospective owners.

The Warrior Dog Foundation works hard with the former K9s to create an arrangement to help with issues they might have such as noise sensitivity or aggression. If they are unable to overcome these difficulties they will live out the rest of their days being cared for at the Warrior Dog Ranch. This organization believes that these heroes deserve to be recognized, especially the retired ones. 

One Belgian Malinois called Arko served multiple deployments during his career. On a raid, he had been sent to apprehend a bad guy when he was shot in the chest by a bullet that was meant for the soldiers behind him. Despite being shot, he continued to go above and beyond. Arko had a good bite on the man and did not loosen his grip until his handler gave him the command. After this four-legged hero was flown back to base for surgery, he fully recovered and went back to action. Arko was able to his retirement at the Warrior Dog Ranch and is remembered for his unmistakable presence. 

“He was a warrior through and through and is responsible for many of our countrymen coming home safe. We will always have a special place in our hearts for Arko,” said The Warrior Dog Foundation. 

Golden Retriever Bretagne was a search & rescue dog who worked to retrieve victims of the 9/11 terrorist attacks in New York. She worked at Ground Zero tirelessly 12 hours a day for 10 days straight. She also served as a rescue dog for Hurricane Katrina and Hurricane Rita until her retirement at age 9. The golden retriever worked at a local elementary school once a week to help children practice their reading and continued to demonstrate search techniques at community events. 

Even after retirement, she dedicated her whole life to helping people until her death at age 16. After she was put down due to health issues, they saluted Bretagne as she was carried out of the hospital draped with an American flag. 

We are forever grateful for these hardworking companions and they will continue to be beneficial to the safety of our communities.