Three Trump lawyers plead guilty it Georgia election case

Law.com

On Tuesday, October 24th of 2023 former Trump lawyer Jenna Ellis pleaded guilty in the case involving the federal charges Donald Trump was facing in the interference of the Georgia election. What makes this such a tragedy is that she’s the fourth co-defendant in the case to do so.

On Thursday Trump lawyers Sidney Powell and Kenneth Chesebro pleaded guilty to six misdemeanor counts in the same case. The two pleas show Willis’s strategy is unfolding precisely as designed. Nobody knows what Powell or Chesebro told Willis’s team in their proffer sessions but it’s possible they provided information against perceived higher-ups in the alleged conspiracy to overturn the 2020 election.

Chesebro pleaded guilty to a felony charge of conspiring over the 2020 election and also facing the felony charge of attempting to file false documents on the electors. In the plea deal, he agreed to testify against his co-conspirators in the marketing case brought by Georgia prosecutors against former president Trump and his team.

These guilty pleas from Sidney Powell and Kenneth Chesebro are raising questions about their convictions and what they could mean for others on the Georgia indictment, especially Trump, who has not yet pleaded. 

Chesebro later gets his deal out to the prosecution and everyone else who was supposed to be “In the constant act of communication” Chesebro mentions in a conversation with the prosecution. The two had a deal and it was that Powell and Chesebro get no jail time whatsoever.

Powell and Chesebro are the second and third to drop from the defendant’s indictment. It is a very unusual thing for a defendant to plead guilty in a criminal case especially up to the eve of the trial.

Kenneth Chesebro created and distributed false documents in Georgia and other states for people to submit to the national archives and congress posing as presidential electors.

Powell and Chesebro have requested speedy trials and they were supposed to have joint trials beginning October 23, 2023 and the other 17 remaining defendants are scheduled to be tried later. 

Powell is the first person with direct ties to the ex-president and in Trump’s inner circle to be tried, which makes it easy to get them to plead guilty in the Georgia case. 

“I feel it shows that the election was not stolen, I think they were helping spread information that was biased. I also don’t think this has a big impact on Trump’s case because what they pleaded guilty to were misdemeanors, and that doesn’t prove that Trump himself did anything wrong,”  stated  NHS social studies teacher, Mrs. Kelly Leary in an interview with The Greyhound,

It is unclear how much danger Trump is in now regarding his case compared to before those pleas were released. Powell’s plea seemingly posed a much bigger risk to Trump given that she is the first person with direct ties to the ex-president and his inner circle.