Wondering what those stars represent?

Seniors Amber Luis and Deanna Aljamal

Seniors Amber Luis and Deanna Aljamal

On Friday April 28th, it was National Decision Day at Naugatuck High School and across the nation.  The technical date is May 1st but since that fell on a Sunday this year, it was celebrated on Friday.  

National Decision Day is the annual day that high school seniors sport apparel representing their post-graduation plan whether it be college, military, or otherwise.  This tradition was started in the White House by Michelle Obama to further her “Reach Higher” initiative.

Seniors had the opportunity to sign a star with their name and post-graduation plan to display in the window of the Counseling Suite at the high school.  

“It’s bittersweet,” states Mrs. Shonebarger, one of the school’s guidance counselors.  She admits that it is an exciting time, but that every time a class graduates, it leaves a void in the school.  Mrs. Nunes, the guidance counselor who counsels the class of 2016, stated how she was both proud and sad.  “I have watched these students grow and now they are moving on to bigger and better things, so it is a proud moment for me,” she said.

The current graduation rate at Naugatuck High School for students who move on to attend two or four year colleges is 78% according to the Counseling Department.   In addition to students planning to attend college, many students have instead chosen to join the military, or enter the workforce.

“I love this town, but this is the logical next step in my journey through life,” revealed Kevin Okifo, a senior at the high school.  He will be attending UCONN in the fall as a biology major.  Kevin decided on UCONN from the ten colleges that he applied to because he liked the size and it wasn’t too far from home.

Lexie Paul, another senior plans to attend the University of Hartford in the fall as a Medicine Biology major.  She applied to five schools, but chose UHART because it was the financially-savvy decision and her brother already is a student there so she claimed that it already felt like home to her.  “I’m nervous to go to college, but looking forward to it,” Lexie admitted.

Another graduating senior, Kaylee Carasone, plans to attend Western Connecticut State University in the fall as a Broadcast Meteorology major.  She chose this school from the three she applied to because it felt the closest to a home away from home.  She admits that she is sad to be leaving, but she is open to new beginnings.2016 2

As students signed their stars, they felt many similar emotions.  Jackie Aronin claimed that it felt very surreal, and Sarah Bruneau agreed, saying it was also fun.

National Decision Day has only heightened the excitement preceding graduation throughout the class of 2016 at Naugatuck High School because it reminds us of just how close we really are to something we have worked so hard for.