The balancing act – sports and academics

NHS student-athletes Back row: Walter Figueroa, Briana Rubas, Zahra Bayonne, Khaden Moore, Eustache Kankanya, Jalen Francis Front row: Aston Barnes

Being a student-athlete means pursuing academics and athletics as a high school student. A great character can be built for the individual, by working hard in both the physical and educational areas, however, student-athletes often have their high school sports taking up hours after school which causes students to become exhausted. Therefore, should high school athletes be prioritized?

Student-athletes are very determined individuals. These athletes want to be the best of the best and train their very hardest at practices. The end goal for many is to go to elite colleges and play the sport they love, but only some can get into the colleges they want to because of their poor grades. 

For a solid visual, Norval Black, an 18-year-old graduate from Northwest High School in Germany, expressed his humbling experience. Black attended Lackawanna College, in Scranton Pennsylvania which was a Division 2 school. His ultimate goal was to go to Division 1 but he expressed how he paid very little attention to his grades as it was impossible for him to reach a 2.3 GPA by the end of his sophomore year in high school.

This story leads us to understand why teachers encourage the fact of how it’s student-athlete rather than athlete-student. Student-athletes are up late, trying to squeeze in homework right after a long game or practice because of that expectation of putting their academics first. As for this, students who are putting their hardest effort in both areas of academics and sports become exhausted.

Some statistics based on one’s mental health within being an athlete are from the Journal of Athletic Training. These statistics show that Athletes are twice as likely to experience anxiety rather than non-athletes. As Athletes are competing in their sports, many get injured. Injuries only add to the athlete’s anxiety and depression. When even considering the best of the best athletes, 40% of elite athletes experience mental health disorders which the British Journal of Sports Medicine proved.

Mr. Brian Mariano, the athletic Director at Naugatuck High School was asked if he believes that high school sports and academics are a lot for a student to handle. Mariano said, ¨If students can balance athletics and academics then, no, it shouldn’t be a lot to handle. Time management is a huge piece of being able to balance both

When considering student-athletes lost hours of sleep and school time this creates the question, should high school athlete’s schedules be considered when teachers are planning for summative tests? Mariano responded with, ¨This is a hard one. Teachers try to consider students’ lives outside of school as well as their course load. However, we are required to teach a certain amount of specific material. This is where communication between athletes and their teachers plays a huge role.¨

As Marino expressed communication is key, I asked a Naugatuck high school student, Gabby Moracho who is a student-athlete herself if communication with her teachers is beneficial. Moracho said, ¨I play two sports that tend to take up a significant amount of time such as swim meets taking about 2-3 hours normally but on bigger meets, they tend to be even longer. Therefore, communicating with my teachers about assignments and tests that may need an extension or If I even have to take a test a day early or later is very important for my academic success as a student.¨

Overall Student-athletes do handle a lot during the school year. According to ADAA.org, ¨At least half of mental health issues begin by age 14, and 75% of those same issues begin by age 24.¨ This information creates the question of whether being a student-athlete can affect one’s mental health for the better or worse. ADAA.org also expressed the idea of how 67 percent of people suffering from negative mental health do not seek treatment, as they truly suffer in silence.

Marino responded to the idea of mental health by expressing, ¨There are pros and cons to athletics. Being involved in a sport and part of a team can have a huge impact on one’s mental health. There can be a fine line where it can become too much and athletes can suffer. We see it often with professional athletes where they somewhat have a mental break and then absence from the sport.¨

Jason Costa, a track and field athlete who is an 11th-grade student at Naugatuck School, answered some questions regarding how student-athletes should be prioritized. When asked, do you feel that sports affect your academics, Costa gave various details as to how it has. ¨Track has impacted me and my academics a ton. As I move up in grades the workload in school becomes a lot heavier, and I find it a lot harder to keep a good GPA, perform well in track, and also keep a social life.¨. 

Costa has a lot of obstacles to overcome when being both a track athlete and a student. As he perseveres through these challenges, he expresses what he does to manage being both an athlete and a student. Costa said, ¨I take 2 hours after school and practice to get all my work done and also to study the subjects I am having trouble with. This method allows me to stay focused on track when the time is needed and also allows me to keep my grades up.¨.

With this information from Costa about how he manages his time and what he does to be successful, the main question was asked, should teachers go easier with due dates and tests during your sports season? Costa expressed, ¨I think that teachers should be a little more lenient when it comes to student-athletes in season. The stress of the season along with the stress of academics can take a larger toll on an athlete’s mental health. I first hand have experienced the stress of balancing both school and sports. I am lucky to have wonderful teachers who do understand my stress and have allowed me to retake or take a late test because of my obligations.¨.

Leniency suggests being easier on how teachers grade when considering student-athletes in season. When asked Costa what he thinks about this he said, ¨ A small type of leniency would be very beneficial when being in season, as I think teachers should be easier in the way they have due dates within the assignments, rather than grading at an easier level. ¨

With these important perspectives, they show us first-hand experiences giving us more of an idea of what student-athletes experience when they seem to be under pressure trying to juggle sports, a social life, and maintain academic success. These student-athletes want to be understood in the sense that they want to be less overwhelmed, and would like teachers to be a little more laid back within the workload and due dates when they are in season.