NHS’s production of “Afraid of the Dark” a huge success

Afraid of the Dark dress rehearsal

Mr. John Carino

“Afraid of the Dark” dress rehearsal

On March 31st and April 1st, Naugatuck High School’s theatre club performed their debut production of Afraid of the Dark, written by James Reach, in the Davis Auditorium.

The play was directed by co-advisers Mr. John Carino, acting teacher, and Miss Dianne Vagnini, English tutor. Students Emma Bracket, Elizabeth Tuscano, Emily Wilcox and Maegan Wild aided the directors.

With plenty of plot twists and comedic outbursts, the production was an absolute hit, invoking laughter and shock evident throughout the entire time.  

Besides the obviously talented main character roles played by Arshil Chowdhury and Sydney Lauer, Quentin Labrecque and Saj Sajous’ hilarious performance was brilliantly portrayed through the energy and the choreography they brought to the stage as a duo.

One outstanding actor Julia St. Paul played the mysterious character Mata Hari and captivated the audience with her stylish fashion and cryptic hints.

Perfectly channeling her inner princess, Saranda Cermenika also aced her “off with their heads” line a multitude of times with her very nicely played entitled high pitched voice.

Aside from the cast themselves, the set of the play featured beautifully specific details, including actual childhood photos of one of the main characters, crew painted set design, and an authentic floral sofa.

Set design can be credited to Michele Ryan and Krystina Huculak.  

Having this be Naugatuck High School’s first production under Mr.John Carino’s new NHS Theatre Club, the outcome was outstanding.

Arshil Chowdhury chimed in regarding the play being their first, explaining, “I thought that this play might be too much for our first, but I think we performed very professionally… My favorite part about being in this production was being surrounded by a supportive cast and crew who always encouraged our best efforts.”

“The scenery was great. Great care was taken on details and making it realistic.  I loved the opening with Chauncey’s terrified voice filling the auditorium,” said Mrs. Carolyne Dymond, English teacher and Saturday attendee.

Dymond’s favorite scene was the climax of the play specifically when the character Chauncey attacks Robinson, a rogue cop played by Justin Cabana, in the third act of the play.

“He found his backbone,” said Dymond.

When asked about her final, lasting thoughts on the production Dymond answered “Such pride and happiness – for our school, the performers! I loved seeing all of Mr’ Carino and Miss Vagnini’s hard work come to life.”

Overall the production was a great example of the talent that Naugatuck High School student body has and left the crowd cheering for more.