An open campus is a possibility

For the 2017-2018 school year, Naugatuck High School has switched to a new schedule, which includes one superblock per day. This schedule shortens the day from eight periods to seven, and each day one period is seventy-five minutes, while the others are forty-three minutes long. It’s a seven day rotation.

Many students have mixed emotions about this change. Some think the superblock is beneficial, while others just find it confusing.

“The block helps when you’re in a class you struggle in,” said junior Mark Nofri. “It helps me get the extra instruction I need.”

“I prefer the old schedule over this new one,” said junior Brandon Rivera, “there [are] just too many different schedules and it’s very confusing.”

However, Mrs. Jan Saam, principal of Naugatuck High School, is pleased with how the new schedule is working thus far.

“The new schedule opens up opportunities for teachers, for extended projects, assignments, and things that you just couldn’t do in forty-three minutes.”

She also likes how the new change quiets the building. She pointed out that many students wandered around the halls during study halls, and with only 7 periods a day, there are fewer study halls and less wandering.

Even though there are fewer students in study halls, there are still seniors who have a study hall, and are unhappy when they have a 75 minute period and no work to do.

This situation has raised the idea of an open campus at NHS. The seniors of the high school are all for this possibility.

“An open campus would be a great reward for students in good standing,” said senior Mike Plasky, “and it would add some motivation for those students who aren’t in good standing.”

“It should definitely be something you have to earn,” added senior Arbnor Mehmedi, “you should have to be in good standing, have parent permission, and have to be back in time.”

“We’re 17 and 18 years old,” said senior Samantha Royka, “we’re responsible enough to be able to leave and come back.”

The open campus is definitely something that Mrs. Saam has thought about.

“I would definitely not do it for freshman and sophomores, but I certainly would consider it for juniors and seniors, with parental permission and if they were in good standing, then I have no problem with that.”

Although many seniors this year hope for an open campus this change may not be as close as they’d like.  Even though many teachers are on board with the proposal.

“Hypothetically it would be a great idea to allow student freedom and flexibility,” said English teacher Miss Courtney Perrotti, “It would have to be structured in a way that would facilitate responsibility and accountability.”

“I don’t know if I would do it this year, I haven’t really thought about it only because it’s a different block everyday, so it would be tough to manage,” said Saam.

So although the class of 2018 might not get an open campus, it definitely is not out of the question for the future.