Mr. Harris joins the NHS team

Mr. John Harris, Associate Principal

Aryana Powell

Mr. John Harris, Associate Principal

Naugatuck High School’s new associate principal, John Harris, joined the team on July 1st, 2017. He enters the school with many plans, a lot of experience and a leadership style unique to him. Previously a Social Studies District Coordinator in Madison, he plans to use his experience to make Naugy High an even better place to learn.

Mr. Harris strongly believes it is important to make relationships with the students to make them feel comfortable in their environment. This belief is especially true for freshmen.

“I’m asking 9th graders 13,14 years olds, what do you want to do with your life? And that’s a pretty big question, and so as we’re doing all that I think it’s on us to ensure that you’re being respected by your peers and you’re being respected by the adults in the building,” said Mr. Harris

Freshman at Naugatuck High School are placed on teams with common teachers, which eases their sometimes difficult adjustment from middle school to high school.

Mr. Harris runs regular meetings with these freshman teachers, overviewing the education process and focusing on struggling students.

“Mrs. Saam actually has a new poster on her door that I have always found very powerful. [It relates] the idea that everybody is fighting a war that you know nothing about. And so my approach to dealing with students is always try and keep that in mind –  that everybody has a struggle and everybody has something they’re dealing with,” said Harris.

As well as leading the freshmen teams, Mr. Harris also serves the faculty of NHS.

“I think my strengths as a leader come from the interpersonal relationships and the empathy that I have for others,” said Harris.

Mr. Harris will continue to hone his leadership skills in his very important capacity as an instructional leader. An instructional leader assures that all students are receiving the best possible instruction from their teachers.

Mr Harris is married to Mrs. Katie Harris, and they have two children together. Mrs. Harris is also an educator. They live in a small town along the Connecticut River called Chester.

Mr. Harris began teaching in 2010. He has taught every grade 9-12, in subjects ranging from world history, civics, economics, sociology, and psychology. After teaching in the classroom, his role was an office job, which made him wish he was back in a classroom where he can interact with students.

Becoming an administrator at NHS will help him achieve this goal.

The Naugatuck High School faculty and students are certainly on his side during this journey.