EXCEL Club initiates its 2017 new members

Joseph Krajeski

Joseph Krajeski

Justes Cureton, Staff Writer

On October 24th Naugatuck High School hosted the EXCEL Induction Ceremony. The club is advised by Mrs.Guglielmo, chemistry teacher in the high school.

According to its mission statement “The Excel Club is a group of high school students who are dedicated to improve their school, community and country through volunteerism. This elite group has four main focuses: Americanism, youth activities, community service, and prevention of child abuse.”

“When I was younger I always wasn’t around the best situations,” says Brenna Yeager, a senior at Naugatuck High School and Excel secretary. “And going through that and knowing how it personally feels, drives me to want to put myself out in the community and help in anyway I can in hopes that I could improve someone’s situation even if it’s temporarily.”

At the ceremony Principal Jan Saam gave thanks to parents who came as well as recognized the students and the “(Excel)lence” they have pursued.

“One of the most important ways that community service benefits us is by helping solve problems or on going issues in the world and by participating in community service volunteers are changing are changing lives of friends and neighbors,” said Yeager.

“Mrs. Gugs became our advisor this year and is an active member of the Naugatuck Exchange Club. With her help we’ve been able to grow in numbers,”  says co-president Kelly Carr. “She [Mrs.Dinkle, starter of the Excel club] helped create a focus on the awareness child abuse prevention and is the reason why we have our annual pinwheel garden at Naugatuck High School.”

Jessica Komaki, co-president says, “April is National Child Abuse Prevention Month so we encourage students to wear blue and donate to our cause. We have also successfully completed a book drive and stuffed animal drive.”

Each student was called up by Mr. Cliff Kiernan in alphabetical order and received a certificate as well as a pin.

This year’s inductees were: Allison Bolduc, Katie Brown, Shane Carey, Kelly Carr, Molly Kennelly, Jessica Komacki, Megan Korowotny, Jamie Lamourex, Raymond Lucarelli, Noah Mena, Cassandra Napoli, Lauren Oakes, Abbigal Patterson, Michael Rivera, Hailey Russell, Taylor Siefer, Dylan Triscitti, and Brenna Yeager.

Big thanks also goes out to Mr. Cliff Kiernan for inducting the new students and Mr.Brian Mariano, Athletic Director, for attending the Excel Induction.

The Excel program has many upcoming events planned such as to take part in Veterans Day Parade on November 10th, stuffed animal drive and a movie night in December, pinwheel sales on March 20th, and planting of the pinwheels on April 3rd.

1 Comment

One Response to “EXCEL Club initiates its 2017 new members”

1. Kathryn Guglielmo on November 6th, 2017 1:22 pm

Thank you so very much for this wonderfully written article. I am very proud to be a part of this Club. Our students are amazing.

[Reply]

• EXCEL Club initiates its 2017 new members

School News

NHS bids goodbye to a legend and an amazing leader

School News

Our lifers should be honored with a new Lobby of Legends

School News

Read The Greyhound News!

School News

Special ceremony brings awareness of child abuse and domestic violence

School News

NHS hosts annual College Fair

School News

NHS holds its first spring pep rally

School News

NHS Theater brings “The Dragon” to life

School News

DECA takes States

School News

International Day celebrates diversity

School News

NHS students take action