University of Hartford student charged in crimes against her roommate

Brianna Brochu, a student at the University of Hartford in Connecticut, was charged with criminal mischief, expelled from the university, and faces a hate misdemeanor after boasting about having contaminated her roommate’s toothbrush, face lotion and other belongings in an effort to drive her from the room.

Hartford police arrested Brianna Rae Brochu on Saturday after they say she admitted to committing a series of vile acts against Channel “Jazzy” Rowe in order to get Rowe to move out of the dorm they shared.

Rowe told West Hartford Police that since the beginning of the school year “she has felt ostracized by Brochu” and that Brochu generally ignored her and that she asked to change rooms.

On October 17, Rowe started moving her belongings into her new room and was approached by one of her neighbors, who said she saw some “very concerning posts” on Brochu’s Instagram account, police said. The posts appeared to show Brochu “bragging about how she tampered with [the victim’s] personal items.”

“Finally did it yo girl got rid of her roommate!! After 1 ½ month of spitting in her coconut oil, putting moldy clam dip in her lotions… putting her toothbrush places where the sun doesn’t shine, and so much more I can finally say goodbye Jamaican Barbie.” stated on Brochu’s instagram.

Police said Brochu confessed to licking Rowe’s dining utensils and smearing menstrual blood on her backpack, according to the Hartford Courant. However, she told police that “anything else she bragged about on social media was a lie in an attempt to ‘appear funny.’”

In a Facebook Live video, Rowe spoke about becoming sick during her time as Brochu’s roommate.

“While I’ve been [at the University of Hartford], I’ve been getting sick. Not knowing why, I’ve been getting sick. It started with throat pain. I thought maybe because it’s colder up here, I’m just probably catching a cold,” she said. “The sore throat pain got worse and it was just throat pain. And this was happening for about a month. It got to the point where I had extreme throat pain where I couldn’t sleep, to the point where I couldn’t speak. Like I’d try to whisper, and I could barely whisper.”

According to Rowe’s Facebook Live video, on-campus doctors who examined her initially couldn’t figure out what caused her sore throat, but identified “some type of bad bacteria” in the back of her throat.

Brochu has been charged with intimidation, breach of peace and criminal mischief but the Connecticut National Association for the Advancement of Colored People and some of the University of Hartford students are pushing for hate crime charges.

“I think right now I am more inspired because I have seen so many students that have taken this seriously and used their voices and standing up,” says Bryson Owens, Student body president.

The NAACP is saying that what Brochu did to Rowe was more than bullying, but intimidation and physical harm caused due to the color of her skin. The NAACP along with other state leaders met with the State Attorney, Gail Hardy November 7th they were informed at this time, the District Attorney’s office hasn’t received a request for hate crime charges from West Hartford Police. They are now asking police and prosecutors to bring that charge against Brochu before her next court appearance later on this month.

November 8th, at 6 p.m. held a rally at the West Hartford police department to gain support. The rally generated a large crowd and a University of Hartford shuttle even dropped off students who wanted to participate.

Brochu’s next court appearance will be on Wednesday the 15th at 9 a.m. at Hartford Superior Court. The NAACP are urging people to rally outside of the courthouse that day for Brochu to be charged with a hate crime.