NHS looks toward a new schedule next school year

O&G Industries, Inc.

In the 2018-19 school year at Naugatuck High School the school administration was considering a new, unique rotating block schedule increasing 7 periods to 8 including some sort of block for all classes. On the morning of January 25, 2018 it was announced that the upcoming school year will have full block (Option 3).  Their decision depended on student and faculty feedback.

An email was sent out to all faculty, so they were able to see the new schedule possibilities:

Option 1: A/A/B/C/A rotation allowing periods 1-8, 3 days a week and having periods 1,3,5,7 for B day as well as periods 2,4,6,8 for a C day.

Option 2: A/B/C/B/C rotation A day is periods 1-8, B day is periods 1,3,5,7 and C day is periods 2,4,6,8.

Option 3: A/B/A/B/A rotation is different from the other to options. A day would instead be periods 1,3,5,7 and B day would be periods 2,4,6,8.

“I am in favor of all 3 options, but my favorite schedule is option one (1) being the A/A/B/C/A” said Mr. Nicholas Varanelli, social studies teacher at Naugatuck High School.

When bringing up the subject many students feel strongly that we shouldn’t have block periods at all and wish that Naugatuck High School would return to the traditional 8 periods everyday.

“If we could go back to the same schedule of periods 1-8 I would prefer that 100% [with that being said] if I had to choose one out of the 3 [options] I would choose option 3 because it is less complicated and easier to understand,” said sophomore at NHS Zach Crosswait.

On top of that, the new schedule also took out morning homeroom, because of that classes will be starting at 7:30 am compared to 7:34 am.

In between periods 3 and 5 or 4 and 6 there will also be a flex/ advisory everyday for 25 minutes.

“I feel that having advisory everyday will be good and beneficial for everyone” said Zach Crosswait.