Homophobia is in the hallways

Back to Article
Back to Article

Homophobia is in the hallways

emaze.com

emaze.com

emaze.com

Hypatia Day, Noah Lydon, and Faith Williams

Despite many successes in the fight for rights in the gay community, the battle rages on. In fact, students see rampant homophobia right here in this school. Homophobia is the discrimination against those in the LGBTQ+ community and many at NHS see it rearing its ugly head.

Within the first two weeks of February, we were able to interview students and staff at the high school about their thoughts and feelings upon this issues prevalence in the school.

The most common consensus between the individuals we talked to were that those in the LGBTQ+ community tend to be discriminated against at this school.

“I see it quietly, people will talk about them behind their back,” said one junior.  “Just because they are gay they are [perceived as] weak.”

“Honestly, I don’t really see it . . . From my perspective as a teacher, again, I’m not living it but I feel kids are fairly accepting in the high school community,” said one teacher.

One teacher showed concern  when she said, “even if you just call a person gay” or “use incorrect tones in class.”  

“Posting stuff on social media, spreading rumors that aren’t true, and talking behind a person’s back,”  said a Naugatuck High School student when asked about the types of harassment she witnesses.

“Verbal attacks and  name calling is something I’ve seen a lot while in high school,” said another Naugatuck High School student when asked what homophobia looks like within the high school community.

When asked about how these acts of homophobia may affect a high schooler we heard several different responses from students.

“[It] makes them self- conscious,” said one Naugatuck High School student when asked this question.

“People have been bullied all of their lives for their sexuality, and you never know what’s going on in someone’s head,” said another student from the high school.

If seen at all, whether by a teacher or a staff member it is clear that homophobia is a huge issue in a school environment and people should be made to feel safe rather than attacked or excluded.

Hypatia Day, Staff Writer

I am in 12th grade. I would like to become a social worker. I would like to expand my writing skills and be more in tune with what's going on around me.

Noah Lydon, Staff Writer

I am in 11th grade. I would like to become a Cosmetologist/Hair Dresser. I enjoy to write about various things and I wanted to see if I could take it further...

Faith Williams, Managing Editor

I am a junior in my second year of Journalism. I am the managing editor, and I like to voice my opinion in my writing. I most enjoy writing about women's...