International Day celebrates diversity

On Friday, March 16th, Naugatuck High School celebrated diversity through International Day.

International Day is an event started by the National Honor Society in collaboration with the World Language Club and Dream Team, which is run by Mr. Zeigler.

International Day consisted of a showcase of countries in the Media Center. The set-up of the showcase in the Media Center was modeled after previous year’s “Around the World” event created by the World Language Department. However, the food component is not included this year because of school food regulations.

Classes and students were able to explore the many different displays during periods 6 and 7.

The countries that were on display in the media center included Argentina, Brazil, France/French Colonies, India, Italy, Laos, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Spain, and Turkey.

Krishna Soni, a senior who presented India said, “Overall, it was a very fun experience. I got to learn about a lot of different cultures and like, see other people’s countries and how much hard work they put in. It was fun to see people getting excited about other people’s countries.”

Jenifer Rodrigues, senior and president of National Honor Society, commented, “I feel it’s a way for the school community to come together.”

International Day is a day dedicated to commemorating the wide range of diversity in the student body. The event was thought up several months prior as a simple idea.

“I initially wanted to do International Day because I felt like our school just has so much diversity,” Rodrigues added.

Although Friday might’ve been focused around the different ethnicities at Naugy, it was actually a day for everyone to embrace the unique differences in each other.Laraine Weschler

International Day was not just a day for anyone – it was a day for everyone.

“I was excited because it’s nice to go in there and nice to see different cultures being represented by the students,” said another student.

“As I walked into the media center, I saw many different kids ready to share their backgrounds and where they came from. Upon going to each kid, they were very descriptive and they were really proud to share their culture.”

When asked what people would take away from that day, Rodrigues said, “Just to be culturally aware because there’s so much to offer.”