IHOb? Really? Who thought this was a good idea?

Back to Article
Back to Article

KCRG

KCRG

KCRG

Matthew Polek, Senior Reporter

International House of Pan- Nope. Not anymore. IHOP has changed its name to IHOb, well at least temporarily. When first announced many speculated, the b would stand for breakfast, some even thought brunch, but they were all wrong.

It stands for burgers!

A place known for its breakfast, and more specifically, its pancakes, making this change? Why did anyone think this is a good idea? Now I get it, it’s a marketing thing, they want people to know that they’re more than just breakfast, and they offer burgers, but this big flip of the P is just unnecessary.

If you remember, Dominos used to be known as Domino’s Pizza, but they removed the Pizza part because they wanted people to know, they’re more than just pizza. That’s a small change, no one really cared, why couldn’t IHOP make a small change like this?

Do I have a suggestion as to what that smaller change would be? No. But that’s not my job, someone in their marketing team should’ve been able to think of something much less drastic.

Now, I know what you’re thinking, why are people getting so angry about this if it’s just temporary?

Some people don’t like change, and some people just don’t want their beloved pancakes to be forgotten about by the INTERNATIONAL HOUSE of said pancakes.

If you go to IHOP and get a burger, then good for you. But when I go to IHOP I go because I want breakfast, including pancakes. That’s what they’re known for. And I understand they want people to know that they’re more than just that, but how about next time, you just hand out some coupons, or make a commercial, no need to change the whole name of the restaurant.

“We are definitely going to be IHOP,” Darren Rebelez, president of IHOP, told CNNMoney. “But we want to convey that we are taking our burgers as seriously as our pancakes.”

Well that’s good. I’m happy for you, Darren. You’re taking every item on your menu and treating it just as seriously as all the rest. That’s what good restaurants do. Welcome to the club.  

I must admit, this change has had some positive consequences. Social media has been fun lately. Other food joints mocked this change is some really hilarious ways.

Burger King changed its name *just on twitter* to “Pancake King.”

Wendy’s tweeted: “Remember when you were like 7 and thought changing your name to Thunder BearSword would be super cool?

Like that, but our cheeseburgers are still better.”

Whataburger tweeted: “As much as we love our pancakes, we’d never change our name to Whatapancake.”

So as you see, some good did come out of this, just not a lot. Whoever came up with this, you should be fired, and never hired by another marketing team. Next time I want breakfast at dinner time, catch me at Denny’s.

Matthew Polek, Sports Editor

I am a senior. I will be attending the University of Tampa as a journalism major in the fall of 2018.