Biden family dog bites eleventh Secret Service agent

Wikipedia

On September 26, President Joe Biden’s German Shepherd, Commander, bit an eleventh Secret Service member this year at the White House.

Commander has bitten eleven people from October 2022 to September of this year at the White House or Biden family home. Many of the attacks were back-to-back. At this rate, an agent has been bitten by the dog every day this week causing damage to the uniform or punctures to the skin. Although none of the injuries have been serious, many of the agents have been forced to shield themselves from Commander with household objects or furniture such as a steel cart.

In July when the secretary of public relations made the biting history public, the White House made leashing protocols and training mandatory and gave Commander designated spaces to play and exercise, but these changes have yet to help with the dog’s behavior. 

The press secretary, Karine Jean-Pierre, blames it on the stress of being a pet in the White House. “As you all know, the White House complex can be unique and very stressful. That is something I’m sure you can all understand.” 

However many agents believe Biden is unable to control his pets. During one incident that happened in the Kennedy Garden in December, Commander was taken off his leash in the presence of President Biden. An agent was bitten but, fortunately, was able to resume his shift after.

This isn’t the first altercation between the Secret Service members and the Biden family pets. The family’s first dog, Major, was rehomed to a family in Delaware due to aggression because he had many challenges adjusting to life in the White House. After their shared family dog, Champ, passed away in June 2021, they were gifted Commander by the president’s brother James Biden in December 2021.

According to NBC, the family will continue to find ways to help the dog’s behavior. The family says that they’re really sweet dogs and just seem to be having a hard time living at the White House because of all of the unfamiliar people. They plan to keep Commander at the White House and continue training to improve his behavior.