NHS Young Feminists begins discussing its fourth year

The Young Feminists club is starting up again this school year. The Young Feminist Club is a safe space where students can share their experiences, talk about their feelings, and discuss many of the social issues that are present around the world that women and other marginalized groups face every day.

The club was founded in 2020 by NHS graduate Medeea Ionescu who believed that the school would benefit from a club about feminism, to empower other students and educate them about feminist topics. 

“I think it is so important for young women and their allies to have a safe place to talk, ask questions, and learn about the issues that are impacting them. The club also creates a place for them to explore different ways to impact the fairness in their environments, whether that is school, town, or world,” said Mrs. Dymond, YFC advisor and English teacher in an interview with The Greyhound.

The club’s primary goals for young feminists are to educate students on the issues that many face every day, help students discover what feminism means to them, remove the stigma around feminism, and increase feminist beliefs and inclusivity in our school and in the world in general. We are now in the third wave of feminism, which means that feminism does not only fight for women but for members of the LGBTQ+, BIPOC groups, and any other marginalized groups in the world.

“This club talks about issues that I can relate to personal experiences, which I would never be able to talk/think about outside of this club. Therefore, this club is extremely important in this day and age. I returned to the club, so that I can make others aware of feminist issues, so our club can bring change to this world,” said Samantha Klimovich, the vice president of YFC.

Ever since its inception in 2020, the Young Feminists Club has made many achievements such as holding fundraisers for non-profit organizations and spreading awareness about domestic violence, rape culture, and other problems within our society. 

Their biggest achievement so far, however, was in 2021 with the total rework of the school dress code with many of the restrictions placed against young women being removed.

Some of which prohibited women from wearing tank tops in class or any low-cut or midriff tops that expose any part of their stomachs. 

“If you want to learn, talk, and meet a great group of people, join us every other Tuesday in N111!” says Mrs. Dymond.