Missing assignments policy changes this school year

The Greyhound Staff

The formally discontinued 50% on missing assignments rule has created many mixed reactions in the classrooms of Naugatuck High School. The rule allowed students to collect 50% as their grade in replacement of the 0% usually received for an incomplete assignment. But why did the rule not fully follow us into the new year? 

Most teachers suspected that the rule led to students feeling more lackadaisical about turning in or completing the assignment since the replacement of the 50% does less harm to their grade, compared to the large drop we see when we receive a 0%.

On the other hand, students felt like the rule was a good placeholder for them and that it was beneficial for them. 

This rule has created the question of which opinion is more valuable, the people trying to create the best bridge to success or the students having to walk in that direction? 

In return for following the 50% rule, and other rules in NHS , the students of Naugatuck High School intend to receive the school’s best interest. 

Mr. John Harris, the principal of Naugatuck High School, says that the 50% was in students’ best interest and that the rule does benefit the students. Mr. Harris believes that there are certain exceptions for students missing their work, and therefore they should not be hurt by those undone assignments. 

¨It felt like a fair placeholder for an assignment you will return to. Or you won’t have a failing grade because of assignments you couldn’t get to,” Nia White, a junior at NHS said. 

While some feel the rule could be beneficial to the students, it also leaves a lot of doubt that it will allow the students to get an understanding of their work.

¨I didn’t really like it only because it made it easier for everyone to not do their work and still get a higher grade, ¨ said Jordyn Grey, a junior at NHS who believes the rule was less beneficial.

The teachers’ thoughts on the rule were also something to take into account while regulating the rule.

¨I think there is evidence that students made choices not to complete assignments because a zero was not an option. If they did not complete those assignments that led up to a summative assessment, that most definitely impacted their success on the task. They did not have the prior practice or a bank of completed resources,¨ said Mrs. Dymond about the 50% rule.

The grading system for last year is partially gone but modified. Instead of all students receiving a 50% in replacement of the 0% for the incomplete assignment, now if the teacher feels like it was the student’s best effort to attempt the work they can accept it as a 50%, however, teachers are still allowed to give zeros for missing assignments, unlike last year.  

The rule was modified based on the teachers’ input,

But while keeping part of the rule, the school expects students not to feel like they could miss assignments frequently and still pass the class, but still having that pressure off, if the students are putting their best effort into the work.

Mr. Harris expects this modified rule ¨will help encourage students to complete work more consistently¨, and hopes to see the incomplete assignments reduced, so the teachers giving the work can see your learning and progress, something teachers can’t see in a student with no work handed in.