Nakken and Ng break the glass ceiling

BEEM

In a predominantly male work field, it is incredibly difficult for women to find jobs in sports management. However, Alyssa Nakken and Kim Ng, along with other monumental women, broke the glass ceiling first in 2020 and inspired many more to follow in their footsteps.

Nakken is currently going through the process of interviewing for a manager position that recently opened up on the San Francisco Giants. This marks the first time a woman has ever been interviewed for a position like that. 

Alyssa Nakken is a 33-year-old American. She played softball, basketball, and volleyball in high school, later going on to play D1 softball as a first baseman at Sacramento State. Now she is a coach on the Giants staff and has been since January 2020

Kim Ng is a 52-year-old Asian American. She played softball and tennis in high school, later going on to play softball as an infielder at the University of Chicago. She was the first female general manager, and now she is a free agent, after being a GM for the Miami Marlins from 2020-23. 

Both women made history back in 2020. In January 2020, Nakken became the first woman as a full-time assistant coach in MLB. Later that same year on July 20th, she was also the first female coach on the field for a Major League game. In November of 2020, Ng became the first woman general manager in MLB history and played a large role in leading the Marlins to the 2023 postseason. 

Their presence can still be seen in the sports industry today. Alyssa Nakken is still an assistant coach for the Giants and is now being interviewed for manager there as well. Kim Ng recently left her job as GM for the Marlins, and denied an interview with the Red Sox 2 weeks ago when they offered her a position.

Of course, it took lots of hard work to get these positions. Kim Ng was only hired after 30 years of MLB experience and interviews for 5 other GM positions. Alyssa Nakken has been a part of the Giants staff for over a decade and is only just now being interviewed for a manager position. It’s a difficult journey, but ultimately worth it in the end. 

Their stories have inspired many young women who are interested in going into the sports management field, showing that anything is possible with some hard work and dedication.

“They show that you should never give up and never stop trying, even when things get tough,” said Brianna Gallo, a sophomore softball player at NHS. 

However, along with the love they receive from all the people these women have inspired, it is inevitable that they will also receive some hate. Specifically, Aubrey Huff, a former player on the San Francisco Giants, was skeptical of the Giants’ decision to interview Alyssa Nakken for manager.

“I criticize the @SFGiants interviewing Alyssa Nakken for manager when there are thousands of qualified men that have decades of experience in @MLB,” Huff posted on X. “The amount of low-T…feminized beta cucks calling me sexist is exactly why America is no longer a respected global superpower.”

Despite the hate, it is undeniable that both Nakken and Ng are inspirations to people all around the world. They made history back in 2020, and continue to make ripples in the MLB sports management industry today. Motivating young women to never give up, even in the hardest of times.