Hockey player dies on the ice after horrific incident

Wikipedia

On October 28th, pro ice hockey player Adam Johnson’s neck was sliced by an opposing player’s skate during a Challenge Cup match in England, leaving a life-threatening cut that ended up killing him. Johnson is still being remembered through the many memorials happening in his honor. 

The accident happened during a Challenge Cup game between Sheffield and Nottingham at Sheffeild’s Utilia Arena. Matt Petgrave, a Sheffield Steelers player, was the one whose skate ended up slicing Johnson, leaving a severe cut on his neck. Johnson was only 29 years old when he was pronounced dead on October 28th.

“The Nottingham Panthers are truly devastated to announce that Adam Johnson has tragically passed away following a freak accident at the game in Sheffield last night,” the Panthers said following the accident. 

Johnson grew up in Minnesota and played hockey throughout high school and college. He played center at both Hibbing High School and the University of Minnesota Duluth. After college, he went on to play for the Pittsburgh Penguins, appearing in 13 NHL games, scoring 1 goal and 3 assists.

Adam Johnson played all over the world, and on multiple different teams. He played for the Pittsburgh Penguins in 2019 and 2020, the Malmo Redhawks in Sweden for the 2020-21 season, and the Augsburger Panthers in Germany for the 2022-23 season. For this season, he had agreed to play for Nottingham, appearing in a total of 7 games before the accident.

“It’s sad to hear that accidents like this still happen in competitive sports, it just goes to show the lack of protective gear in these competitions,” said Gowthami Vidapankal, a sophomore here at NHS.

On November 6th thousands gathered at Hibbings Ice Arena in memory of Johnson. In a 4,000-person arena, the place was almost packed. A memorial was created in honor of Johnson, with flowers, hockey sticks, jerseys, pucks, and more left in his honor. 

Family and friends also contributed to these memorials. Coming prepared with heartfelt messages in memory of Johnson.

“We’re hurting bad up here right now. It’s going to take a while. Nobody can understand it, but maybe God needed him more than we did,” said the Johnson family spokesperson James Perunovich. 

Even old coaches and teammates are mourning. Johnson made a big impression on all the teams he had played on as he was not only a great player, but an amazing person.

“I remember his little smile, every day. I liked his wit. Like he had this little wit. I always say it’s the Iron Range humor, but just the impact he had on his teammates, too. They all loved him. It’s easy to say that now but they did. He was a fun guy to be around,” said Scott Sandelin, Johnson’s high school hockey coach.

“I don’t think the words are as important as the emotions. We had people come in from all over the world here with their hugs and tears” said Perunovich.

Johnson made a big impact on everyone he has played with. Throughout his seasons playing for a wide variety of teams, he also made many friends along the way. All of them collectively mourn the loss of an amazing player and even better friend.