Senior Spotlight: Wilnye Joseph

This 23-24 school year is Wilnye Joseph’s senior year. As a motivated and concerned student, she takes her education very seriously. Wilnye is known as a pleasure to have in her classes, and many of her teachers have nothing but good things to say about this diligent student-athlete. 

Joseph has been a Naugatuck High School veteran of the track team both indoor and outdoor for three years straight. She hopes to get all-state for the high jump for her senior year, which requires her to clear 5 feet. Wilnye mentioned she would like to achieve this before her senior year ends. 

“I’m very close, I currently jump 4’10, So hopefully I can get 5ft by the end of my senior year”. 

Wilnye has such a high interest in the medical field, that she already knows once she leaves high school she wants to go to a four-year college. Wilnye stated in an interview with The Greyhound “I want to pursue my college schooling in either UCONN or Quinnipiac”. 

“I plan to major in pre-med nursing, and I know I need to do four years of college and four years of medical school, two years of residency, and then One year of internship.”

“I am 18 years old, currently unemployed but taking my CNA course. Around January I’m hoping to get my license for CNA and find a job at Glendale to start working as a CNA.” 

Joseph feels relieved because she promised to always end on a good note and she is making sure to end her senior year off with all A’s. Joseph is very confident and proud, not only about herself but about how her future will turn out. 

She has made many new valuable relationships with people throughout her high school career.

”I feel like in 10 years I see myself in the medical field, I also see all my goals that I have set achieved, I see myself having a good job and also having a stable living situation. Ally Murphy, Naugatuck High School alumni track star played a big part in being a big inspiration to me because she inspired me to be my best self, also during my 300 hurdle event Ally prayed over all of us wishing us the best. She also taught me even when I am  feeling down or having a bad day I can still be there to lend a helping hand to anyone in need.”

Wilnye had been in a relationship with Nathan Chandler for 2 years. Chandler is a football player at Naugatuck High School and has been friends with Wilnye since sixth grade. The two continued building their relationship throughout the school years, on and off attempting to try a relationship but they were both cautious of messing their friendship up. So once they got to know each other a lot more sophomore year came up and they stopped being friends because things became awkward.

Nathan’s personality itself made him very forward about what he wanted. So one day Chandler decided to message Wilnye stating how much he liked her and cared enough about her to want to get to know more about her. 

So Wilnye opened up and gave him a chance. 

“This was really the best decision I ever made in my life, letting him be the man who I spend my 23-24 school year with.” 

Wilnye and Chandler both began hanging out and going on dates, and then one day Chandler made the first move on a date and asked Wilnye out.

“Nathan Chandler is a very close friend of mine, not only my friend, my boyfriend, my best friend, everything in one. We’ve been together for almost two years, and our relationship has been nothing but joy and happiness. I feel very lucky to have someone as special as my boyfriend Nathan,” said Joseph 

“I see Wilnye as a great person, she’s very loving and kind, I see her becoming very successful when she grows up. I say this because  Wilnye sets a lot of goals for herself that she strives to achieve and doesn’t give up even if she doesn’t accomplish them,” said Chandler

“In 10 years Wilnye will be in college, I think Wilnye is very successful and she doesn’t take her education as a joke, she is a very dedicated person and well-balanced within sports, CNA, and schooling,” Chandler said during his interview.

Mrs. Carolyne Dymond, her English teacher, stated in an interview that “Wilnye is focused and knows what she is working for. She prioritizes her education and takes it very seriously. She advocates for herself and asks questions so that she is sure she understands and can grow. I see Wilnye rising to whatever task is put in front of her and being successful in career and life.”

View Comments (1)