NHS celebrates Patrick Mahomes

David E. Klutho/Sports Illustrated

On February 11th, the Kansas City Chiefs’ starting quarterback Patrick Mahomes led his team to their 4th Super Bowl win. This is Mahomes’ third Super Bowl victory out of his 6 seasons as starter for the Chiefs, and he was awarded MVP at each of his three Super Bowl appearances. 

At only 28 years old, Mahomes has already been Super Bowl MVP 3 times, tying Joe Montana for the second most Super Bowl MVP awards, Tom Brady is first with 5 MVP wins. Mahomes was also league MVP back in 2020.

Mahomes played a big role in the Chiefs’ Super Bowl win this season. Throwing for a total of 4,183 yards and 27 touchdowns over the course of the 2023 regular season. He also threw only 1 interception during the postseason.

Mahomes also played extremely well at the Super Bowl, which earned him his title as MVP. He completed 34 of his 46 pass attempts, for a total of 333 yards and 2 touchdowns. 

During the Super Bowl, the Chiefs were down 7 points by halftime, having scored only 1 field goal. They took the lead in the third quarter with a field goal and a 16-yard touchdown from Mahomes to Marquez Valdes-Scantling, ending the 3rd quarter with a score of (13-10). 

However, the 49ers came back with a touchdown and field goal in the fourth quarter. Mahomes knew he had to at least tie up the game, and that he did. Mahomes was able to get down to San Francisco’s 17-yard line, allowing Butker to make a 29-yard field goal and tie the game (19-19).

Mahomes plays best under pressure, which allowed him to really kick it into second gear when they went into overtime. After the 49ers made a field goal, Mahomes and the Chiefs drove 75 yards in 13 plays. Mahomes passed 3 yards to Mecole Hardman to score the final touchdown and win the game. 

The game was the longest Super Bowl ever, lasting 74 minutes and 57 seconds. It was also the only Super Bowl to go into overtime after the NFL changed the rules in 2022. 

“I’ve just got to give God the glory, man. He challenged us to make us better and I’m proud of my guys. This is awesome, it’s legendary,” said Mahomes after the championship win.

Mahomes was an essential part of the Chiefs Super Bowl win. After the game, Mahomes was awarded Super Bowl MVP for the third time in his career. This makes him the youngest athlete to win MVP that many times.

Mahomes was born and raised in Tyler, Texas, and played football, basketball, and baseball in high school. He later went to Texas Tech University and played both football and baseball in college. By his senior year, he was eligible to enter the NFL draft, and he was selected in the 2017 draft by the Kansas City Chiefs first round. He is now married to Brittney Mahomes and has 2 children, a 3-year-old girl and a 14-month-old son.

“I think Patrick Mahomes is an amazing football player for all that he’s done. All of his hard work is recognized and things in his career are going well for him right now,” said Wendi Castana, a student at NHS.

There is no doubt that Patrick Mahomes is one of the best active quarterbacks in the NFL, but with all the hard work and dedication he puts into the sport, he could be seen as one of the greatest players of all time.