Pia Alonzo-Wutzbach – Happy Women’s History Month!

Pia Alonzo-Wutzbach - Happy Womens History Month!
Dr. Abbey Editor @ Large For World Liberty TV

Pia Alonzo-Wutzbach (now Pia Alonzo Wurtzbach-Jauncey) is the holder of the Miss Universe 2015 title and the representative of the Philippines. She was the first Filipina who won the title of Miss Universe in four decades and joined the pageant to advocate for HIV awareness. In this Month of Women’s History, we will look into her achievements and contributions not just as Miss Universe 2015 but also as a member of society.

Wutzbach was born in Stuttgart, Germany and the eldest daughter to a German father and a Filipino mother. When she was 11 years old, her parents decided to separate and she was left to be the breadwinner of the family. Her main income was through modeling and acting.

She appeared in series such as K2BU and Sa Piling Mo, the program ASAP, and in films All about Love and All My Life, My Perfect You, and The Revenger Squad.

Wurtzbach competed in the national level pageant, Binibining Pilipinas three times and it was on her third try that she won the title of Binibining Pilipinas 2015, making her the representative of the Philippines in the 64th Miss Universe Pageant in 2015. 

In the final round of the question and answer session between the top 3 finalists, Wurtzbach was asked by Steve Harvey, the then first time pageant host, “Why should you be the next Miss Universe?”

“To be a Miss Universe is both an honor and responsibility. If I were to be Miss Universe, I will use my voice to influence the youth, and I would raise awareness to certain causes like HIV awareness that is timely and relevant to my country which is the Philippines. I want to show the world, the universe rather, that I am confidently beautiful with a heart. Thank you.” Wutzbach answered, beautifully with her heart. (source)

When the pageant was announcing its winners, Wurtzbach was named the first runner up of that year’s Miss Universe and crowned Miss Colombia as Miss Universe 2015, but, after a long awkward pause, Harvey apologized for his mistake and announces Philippines as Miss Universe 2015, taking the crown from Miss Colombia’s head and onto Wurtzbach’s. (source)

This event became a controversy; however, Harvey apologized for his mistake through his social media. 

“I’d like to apologize wholeheartedly to Miss Colombia & Miss Philippines for my huge mistake. I feel terrible… Secondly, I’d like to apologize to the viewers at that I disappointed as well. Again it was an honest mistake… I don’t want to take away from this amazing night and pageant. As well as the wonderful contestants. They were all amazing.”

One of the honorable things that Wurtzbach did was travel the world to help out with problems society is facing. In 2016, she traveled to Canada to give a speech at the Speaker Forum for the International Students of the Language Academy of Canada where she talked about being against bullying and her experience as a victim of bullying. (source) and in May 2016, she flew to Ecuador to help out the victims of the deadly earthquake that hit the area.

Wurtzbach also represented the Philippines and the Miss Universe Organization at the UNAIDS (Joint United Nation Programme on HIV/AIDS) meeting aiming to end HIV/AIDS and she was appointed as the UNAIDS Goodwill Ambassador for Asia and the Pacific. (source)

Wurtzbach is an advocate for gender equality, anti-bullying, and HIV awareness and with her title of Miss Universe 2015 she was able to speak for people who are facing challenges to their day to day life.