Zack McCasland crowned 2023 Mr. Greyhound

The 2023 Mr. Greyhound winner is Naugy’s track star, Zack McCasland! He was crowned in the auditorium on December 19, 2023.

With the help of NHS DECA club and senior hosts Amy Morrissey, Manase Mutshima, and Emily Fine, Naugatuck High School students, faculty, staff, and families gathered in the NHS auditorium to watch the Mr. Greyhound contestants perform. 

Mr. Greyhound has been an ongoing tradition at the NHS for over twenty years. The show includes a variety of different songs being performed, dances, outfit changes, and a question segment. 

The 2023-2024 contestants were Zack McCasland (Sr.), Danny Anderson (Sr.), Melih Yilmaz (Sr.), Eric Fortney (Sr.), and Eddie Dalton (Jr.)

Prior to the thrilling show, we spoke to a few of the confident competitors as we asked them why they believed they should win the show. Senior and first-time Mr. Greyhound participant, Eric Fortney shared that he should be crowned the winner at the end of the night, stating “It’s simple, I just think I should win since I’m better than everyone else here”. We shall see how that mentality plays out for him in the end.

As the night carried on the acts got better and better. In the talent category the youngest participant, Eddie Dalton, shocked the crowd with his dramatic rendition of the popular spaghetti breakfast scene in the comforting holiday movie Elf. Sadly, the interesting act wasn’t enough to gain him an edge over his older senior competitors.

Later in the show, senior Melih Yilmaz wowed the crowd as he sang and played the guitar for the talent section of his performance. This staging helped him gain an advantage over his competitors and place 3rd overall in the competition.

Danny Anderson and his date, Autumn Tansley, thrilled the crowd as they polished up for their formal section of the show. Prior to the contest, the senior greyhound felt he “didn’t have any threats in the competition” when asked who his biggest competitor was. “I’m not threatened by them, they’re threatened by me.” I guess his tough guy persona didn’t work out the best for him, as he found himself in 2nd place at the end of the night.

Naugy students happily met in the auditorium to support these gentlemen and have a fun night filled with school spirit. “I thought the performance was great, I’m glad I came and showed my support!” said Eliviah Schroeder, a junior at Naugatuck High School.

Zack McCasland won over the audience with his amazing performance of Santa Tell Me by Ariana Grande! The performance was entertaining, show-stopping, and never done before. With the mix of his dance moves and unique singing style, Zack was now on the judge’s radar to win the title of this year’s Mr. Greyhound. 

As the stage curtains closed it was now up to the judges to crown the winners of Mr Greyhound. Judging the evening of festivities were Mrs. Shannon Shea-Lyons (NHS Health teacher), Mrs. Kristin Cammarata (NHS Secretary), Mrs. Nicole Swan (NHS Counselor) and Dylan Hornby, a senior at NHS. After careful deliberation and consideration judges concluded that Zack McCasland would be Naugy’s 2023 Mr. Greyhound.

“All glory to God,” said Zach after being crowned winner for 2023. 

With the combination of outgoing personalities, show-stopping performances, and overall amusing bits, Mr. Greyhound 2023 was a huge success and will continue to be one of Naugatuck High School’s best traditions!