NHS celebrates John Legend

John Legend/FACEBOOK

Forty-five-year-old John Legend, an American singer-songwriter and pianist, created pianist history in many ways and deserves to be celebrated for his many contributions during Black History Month.

Legend was the first African American man to have won all four major North American entertainment awards which were an Emmy, Oscar, Tony, and a Grammy. Legend’s journey of success led him to gain 12 Grammys throughout his music career.

Legend was raised within a music-centered family. All of his family members sang in their church choir, as his mom was the director, his brother, and father played the drums and his grandmother played the organ. Surrounded by all this music inspired Legend to take piano lessons.

Legend was homeschooled in elementary for multiple years but did go to public high school as he then graduated and attended the University of Pennsylvania. Legend soon worked for Boston consulting groups playing piano at nightclubs.

In the year 2001, Legend began to put himself out there; he was a backup singer and pianist for huge artists of Kanye West, Alicia Keys, and Jay-Z. J. His real name is John Stephans, but he changed it to his stage name John Legend after all of his contributions to the keyboard and voice tracks. At the time, Legend was just one of many who helped big performers with their songs. The first Label with West, GOOD MUSIC,  indeed created a huge name for Legend, as he got himself heard.

As Legend slowly got into the music world, he produced R&B and soul music for all to enjoy. Not only did Legend have a background in music within his family to motivate him, but he has always had his music heroes. On Debatable Monday  Legend said himself, ¨The artists I always looked up to were, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Nina Simone, Paul Robeson, Harry Belafonte, and Bob Dylan.¨

Legend is an inspiring human being who not only makes a difference in the music industry but also in everyday life. In the year of 2008, Legend went on a tour to universities located in the US which was called the Poverty Action Tour. This tour’s main goal was to get people to truly fight against poverty, and donate to charities that were helping to make a difference. Legend saw he could impact people’s lives for the better, so he decided to act on it.

Another act of greatness Legend gave to the world was the LRNG project which was made to inspire the innovation of learning. This movement was planned to lead education to reflect the world we live in today.  It was truly a movement based on building the public education system.

Legend is an incredible father and an incredible music artist. Legend expresses how he keeps his personal life private. Legend is married to Chrissy Teigen, and they have been together for about a decade now. Together they have 4 children the names of Luna, Miles, Esti, and Wren.

Legend who was always been destined for music, created a history of amazing doings. He proved to the world that if we are passionate about something, we should act on it. He started as a backup singer, and to an award-winning music artist who has given his fans and the world so much.