Sydney Mclaughlin-Levrone – Happy Women’s History Month!

PHOTO: GIOVANNI REDA

Sydney Mclaughlin-Levrone, an American hurdler and sprinter, won a world championship in the 400-meter hurdles in 2022 at the world championships. Sydney continued her strive for success and now holds the women’s title for the first female to break the fifty-two-second and fifty-one-second barriers in the 400-meter hurdles in June 2021 and in June 2022.

In 2016 Mclaughlin was the youngest athlete since 1980 to be able to qualify for the U.S Olympics, she also placed second and won a silver medal at the 2019 World Champions in all three of the events she ran in. Mclaughlin also ran on the 4×400 meter relay team and that relay placed first and won a gold medal for that event as a whole.

McLaughlin broke four world records on four different occasions, she was seen to never hold back when running. Mclaughlin was undefeated in seven different heats of the 400 hurdles during her 2021 season. Sydney was well memorable because When Mclaughlin was 16 she was known as the “Syd the Kid” because of how fast she ran at all the high competition meets, shocking all officials but also making her fans and family proud.

After winning gold in both the 400-meter hurdles and the 4×400-meter relay at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics, Mclaughlin was signed to many endorsement deals including Nike, Gatorade, etc. Since the first time she competed, she was seen as a dedicated athlete. She always was striving for better and better,  anything that would help her performance. 

Mclaughlin was first introduced to hurdles in middle school but only to see if she can successfully do that. Sydney surprised herself at her first competition where she won her event stating “Oh my goodness, like, I think I can do this” in her interview with BET.com. 

Sydney was a well-rounded student in her high school years, she graduated from Union Catholic and was known as the best high school female track and field athlete. Mclaughlin also grew up in a very supportive household, she and her siblings and parents all loved track and field so within Sydney’s high school years it grew a spark in her interest. Mary Mclaughlin and Willie Mclaughlin Sydney’s parents were both former track runners who competed in similar events to Sydney. Mary Mclaughlin also went to a union catholic regional high school where she received training from one of the professional track and field coaches Kelvin H Walker.

In addition to her prowess of success, Mclaughlin started her new journey by co-writing a new book of her own called Far Beyond Gold: Running from Fear to Faith  McLaughlin spoke a lot in her book about the process of her track and field career and her faith she has when it comes to running and how it changed her life. 

“It’s cool to see that Sydney McLaughlin paused her dream of running to accomplish her other dream, becoming a mother. As someone very involved in running, it is very empowering to see another woman accomplish two huge dreams at once,” said Lily Dalton, a current Track and Field runner.