Animal Rights at Naugatuck High School

What are animal rights? Animal rights are rights believed to belong to animals to live free from use in medical research, hunting and other services to humans. The Animal Rights Club at Naugatuck High School is supporting that right and working hard to spread the word to others in the community about how animals should be treated.

Around 2009 a student who was about to graduate wanted to put something together to better the community. He really cared about animals and he wanted to do a fundraiser and wisely approached Mr. Sorge. So Mr. Sorge decided to see if any other students would be interested. When that was presented the classroom filled up with students that wanted to help. For their first project, the students planned this big dinner serving about 100 people, had games and students play music. They raised about five hundred dollars for an organization called “ Mercy for Animals,” which they use the money to help animals who were hurt or abused, after that more students wanted to get involved and have more meetings, from that the idea became more than just a one time thing and became a club.

Though the club doesn’t exactly work with animals hands on, they have had puppies visit the school so students can also experience the joy of connecting with an animal themselves. They also took a trip to a Woodstock farm where the students were able to help  care for and visit the animals. Last year, the club mostly focused on food, how the animals were used in our daily diets as well as substitutions instead of meat. This year, the students are leading the group discussions and speaking out with their thoughts and ideas. Talking about issues and ideas that hit close to home such as, cats and dogs, pets in general. Mr. Sorge corroborated,  “People in general  have a real emotional connection with animals. Some people want to do something with that compassion and find away to put it into action.” The Animal Rights club give provide the platform to do so.

To people who are wondering about the club or are just curious Selena Na states, “ You don’t have to be a vegetarian to join. You could be the biggest meat eater and still want to support animals. You just have to be open minded and accept everyone’s thoughts and view.” They meet every thursday after school.