Poetry Out Loud x 2

Poetry Out Loud x 2

Poetry Out Loud had its first meeting December 9th, kicking off the competitive event with a workshop. Nine competitors went to meet with famous poet, Kate Rushin in order to recite and learn to analyze poetry. Kate Rushin a published poet visited the high school for the second time to introduce new and last year’s competitors to reciting poems herself as well as giving tips to the competitors.

Rushin has had a life tied closely to poetry since she was a little girl and when asked what feeling does she get when she recites poetry she responded, “I get very excited, I love poetry, I love the poems that I teach and I love sharing my love of poetry with students.” She has been traveling high schools with the program and even was a judge for Connecticut’s POL State Competition for two years.

Kate Rushin travels the high schools in Connecticut not only to teach poetry but to understand and learn about the different areas in the state and connect with students. This year there are six contestants; Dan Solberg, Saj Sajous, Adiana Alejandro, Vlada Kerus, Glorianese Oritz, Gerald Kuchyt. These contestants are going to recite their poems in the schoolwide competition this month January 21st.

For those interested in the program there is a dress rehearsal at Waterbury’s Barnes & Noble tonight at 6:00. There is also weekly meetings at N122 after school for any students at the high school.