Betsy DeVos confirmed as Education Secretary

© Yuri Gripas / Reuters

Betsy DeVos testifies before the Senate Health, Education and Labor Committee confirmation hearing to be next Secretary of Education on Capitol Hill in Washington, U.S., January 17, 2017. REUTERS/Yuri Gripas

On February 7, The U.S Senate confirmed that school choice activist, Betsy DeVos, will be the next secretary of Education, with the vote of Vice President  Michael Pence breaking a 50-50 tie, the closest vote for a cabinet member in history.      

The Senate historian, Betty K. Koed, says, that this was the first time a vice president had to break a tie on a Cabinet nomination. The vote ended 51-50, Trump’s toughest confirmation battle so far. The Democratic senators debated throughout the night and into Tuesday morning. In a last-ditch attempt to derail DeVos, democrats were buoyed by the support from Republican Senators Lisa Murkowski of Alaska and Susan Collins of Maine.

According to CNN, DeVos was sworn into office shortly after 6 p.m. by Vice president Pence, Pence confirmation that,  “the easiest vote I ever cast.” Pence was very confident in his vote.

Throughout the fight, Democrats argued they needed “Just one more vote!” to lure away another Republican vote. But Republican Senate leaders succeeded in delivering a victory to Trump in a confirmation to end the vote, that very few expected to become as tough as it turned out to be.

Naugatuck High School, English teacher Cheryl Campbell said, “I think she is incompetent for this position, she might be ok doing something else but not that position.”

According to NYtimes, for many educators, Ms. DeVos’s support for charter schools and vouchers  which allow students to use taxpayer dollars to pay tuition at private, religious and for-profit schools reflected a deep disconnect from public schools.

Neither DeVos nor any of her children attended a public school. Most Republicans described DeVos as committed to what is best for children. In a fiery speech moments before the vote, Senator Lamar Alexander, Republican of Tennessee and a former education secretary himself, criticized his Democratic colleagues for opposing Ms. DeVos, he said, simply because she was nominated by a Republican president. Naugatuck High School, English teacher Ms. Courtney Perrotti said,“ I think there are a lot of things she’s not educated about, her kids nor herself not attending public school is a little worrying, which makes me worried about our public schools, is she gonna fight for us?”

DeVos tweeted after the vote, “I appreciate the Senate’s diligence & am honored to serve as @usedgov Secretary. Let’s improve options & outcomes for all US students.”