The basketball season is taking shape

The New York Post

Mya Gladding, Staff Writer

On October 1, 2017 the NBA preseason began. This offseason was a good one for the NBA and the fans. There were many surprises like Chris Paul going the Houston Rockets, Kyrie Irving to the Boston Celtics, and the one everyone’s been waiting for all summer, Carmelo Anthony to the Oklahoma City Thunder.

This year everyone is excited about the NBA season because of these team changes changes and also procedural changes.

One of the changes has to do with the NBA all-star weekend. Usually it’s East vs West but now the fans could vote team captains, and the captains could pick their teams.

“I’m thrilled with what the players and league have done to improve the All-Star Game, which has been a priority for all of us.” NBA all-star Chris Paul said.

So that’s a good thing; some players like the change.

Many of the player trades were necessary. Kyrie Irving going to the Celtics is definitely a positive for the Celtics. Reporters say that Irving is thrilled to be with the Celtics organization and the team believes he’ll stay long term. In July Irving requested to be traded but no one knew why.   

”Me leaving there wasn’t about basketball, it was more or less about creating that foundation of me in Cleveland, and then now taking this next step as a 25-year old evolving man and being the best basketball player I can be,” he said.

“It was my time to do what was best for me in terms of my intentions and that’s going after something bigger than myself and obviously being in an environment that’s conducive for my potential.”  

“I think that statement is self explanatory, because it’s pretty direct in terms of what my intent is, and that’s to be happy and be with a group of individuals that I can grow with.”  

“This could be a team that could be in the finals 3 or 4 times in the next 5 or 6 years,” Celtics’ former player Paul Pierce said.

Good things could be coming the Celtics way.

Carmelo Anthony, after 6 long hard seasons with the New York Knicks, finally gets traded to the Oklahoma City Thunder. His time with the Knicks wasn’t the best. He joined the Knicks in February of 2011 after the Denver Nuggets traded him.

Later on during on during the season the Knicks made it to the playoffs but got swept in the first round to the Celtics. The 2011-2012 season they signed Tyson Chandler but they still started the season off rocky. Then Jeremy Lin got signed to the Knicks. Things started to look great with them as they were on a hot streak. But the Knicks would still lose in the playoffs.

But it all changed on September 23rd 2017. Carmelo Anthony finally got traded. It was a good thing for Anthony and the Knicks. Carmelo could grow with different teammates and the Knicks could rebuild.  

Paul George, his new teammate, posted a picture on Instagram of Carmelo and Russell Westbrook.

The caption he put was My Guys.

The same day Dwyane Wade said on Twitter,  “Happy for my brother @carmeloanthony… @okcthunder yall just got a real one”

The fans are showing love to Carmelo. In Oklahoma they have a big billboard of Carmelo face it says “It Keeps Getting Better And Better.”

Hopefully this is a good fit for Carmelo and we all hope he could win a Championship.