James Harden and the Rockets now considered true title contenders

HOUSTON, TX - MAY 17:  James Harden #13 of the Houston Rockets celebrates in the fourth quarter against the Los Angeles Clippers during Game Seven of the Western Conference Semifinals at the Toyota Center for the 2015 NBA Playoffs on May 17, 2015 in Houston, Texas. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and/or using this photograph, user is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement.  (Photo by Scott Halleran/Getty Images)

HOUSTON, TX - MAY 17: James Harden #13 of the Houston Rockets celebrates in the fourth quarter against the Los Angeles Clippers during Game Seven of the Western Conference Semifinals at the Toyota Center for the 2015 NBA Playoffs on May 17, 2015 in Houston, Texas. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and/or using this photograph, user is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. (Photo by Scott Halleran/Getty Images)

Getty Images

Getty Images

Jordan Anderson, Staff Writer

We are now well into the second half of the NBA season and the Rockets have not looked this good since the two back-to-back championship years in 1994 and 1995.  

Now that we have Chris Paul to strengthen our backcourt, defensively and offensively, we have become an all around better team. We are currently 53-14 with one of the best win percentages in franchise history at .791.

Along with all these wins is also James Harden putting up MVP stats for the third year in a row and this year the award is looking like it’s as good as his. His statline is 31/5.2/8.7 and his team is number one in the league, so I’d say this is looking like his year.

While Harden is putting up these insane stats, Clint Capela is having a breakthrough year as our starting center, providing us with not only strong defense but also having one of the best field goal percentages at .655% shooting.

Now on to the playoff talk…

This, for the past few years, has been the literal kryptonite of the Houston Rockets, along with the San Antonio Spurs. Last season in the Western Conference Semi-Finals it was an even match up with the series being 3-2 in the Spurs favor going into game 6.

Last season would have been another MVP year if not for Russell Westbrook’s historic year so it was expected that after the Rockets beat the OKC Thunder in the first round. It would be relatively the same for the rest of the playoffs.

However, this was not the case whatsoever. In the second round of the playoffs against the Spurs when it came down to the wire, they were blown out by 30 plus – with James Harden only dropping 10, which is almost unheard of.

Manu Ginobili also blocked a Harden 3 pointer and then everyone thought he was a hero for that one thing. Pathetic!

But if the Rockets get lucky enough to not be matched up against Kawhi Leonard,who is out for the remainder of the season on his own terms, (although I feel he will make a spectacular return just to upset the Rockets per usual)and his spurs.

The Rockets also need to hope Harden has matured himself enough to realize he is now more than just a sixth man, but now a star player many fear. It is time to prove to the league why they should fear playoff beard!     

1 Comment

One Response to “James Harden and the Rockets now considered true title contenders”

1. Not the author of this article on March 19th, 2018 11:57 am

Wonderful Article! I agree with so much of this

[Reply]

• James Harden and the Rockets now considered true title contenders

Sports

Overwatch League heads towards playoffs

Sports

Cavs and Dubs meet again

Sports

Manchester United adopts a policy of using sustainable uniforms

Sports

Zeke Upshaw passes away after collapsing on the court

Sports

Jason Witten retires and joins the ESPN team

Sports

NFL makes rule changes

Sports

Let’s remember folks, it’s April

Sports

US Women’s Hockey bests Canada for the gold

Sports

Eagles win Super Bowl LII

Sports

Emmanuel Adebayor shares his story