NHS Track says farewell to retiring Mr. Hanley

Over the past two decades, Naugatuck High School’s cross country and track teams have been very strong and successful. A major part of their success is owed to the coaching duo of Mr. Bill Hanley and Mr. Ralph Roper. 

This dynamic duo has led the NHS boys and girls track teams to 26 NVL titles combined over the past 2 decades. The team had balance with Mr. Roper working with the sprinter types and Mr. Hanley training the long distance runners. But this past August, one-half of this coaching duo announced his retirement. After 20 years of coaching track and 17 years of coaching cross country, Bill Hanley has retired from his positions. 

Mr. Hanley has coached the boys cross country team for 17 years and the girls cross country team for the past 10 years. In the past 17 years, the boys team has been victorious with 9 Naugatuck Valley League Championships.    

Mr. Hanley wasn’t only successful in producing great athletes, but his mentorship has positively impacted the athletes of Naugatuck High School. Whether he coached an individual for his or her entire high school career or only got the chance to spend one season with the athlete Mr. Hanley left a huge impact on those he coached.

“Coach Hanley is one of the most upstanding, considerate, and respectful people I’ve ever met. As a coach and as a role model, he has impacted my life more than anyone else I have ever looked up to and has given me more opportunities than I could ever imagine,” said Matt Nofri, a senior cross country and track runner.

Fellow cross country and track athlete Shayne Hasipi (Junior) agreed, “Coach Hanley always kept me going; in the rain, snow, and heat. He always wanted to see the best from us and I will always appreciate him for that”.

Even after only knowing Coach Hanley for two seasons, sophomore Autumn Tansley expresses that, “Coach Hanley was a great coach and role model for everyone on the Cross country and Track teams. His encouraging words were always appreciative.”

Mr. Hanley helped bring NVL championships back to Naugatuck and has helped runners reach their full potential. His work done in Naugatuck’s running program will never go unnoticed.