NHS welcomes Dr. Felder-McEntire, our new Associate Principal

Dr. Felder-McEntire

Dr. Felder-McEntire

As of 2021, there have been many big changes at Naugatuck High School.  Many new and talented educators are coming into the school.  Of these people, Naugy’s newest Associate Principal, Dr. McEntire, has joined the Naugatuck High School administrative team.

After an interview with The Greyhound News, Dr. McEntire gave great insight into her background as an educator and how she plans to make a positive difference within the high school community.

Dr. McEntire can often be seen in the hallways interacting with her students.  She tries to stay in contact with students to show them she has their backs and is always there for them.  She makes this clear by showing that her door is always open to the students. 

“I don’t want students to feel as if I am off in my own bubble,”  she told us. 

As one of the newest additions to our school, Dr. McEntire is an experienced and talented staff member.  With over 30 years of experience as an educator, she promises to create a real connection with her students.

Although Dr. McEntire began her education in New York, her career as an educator began in Connecticut.  

“I realized that I had a gift to work with kids,”  she told me.

A triumphant moment that she shared was her ability to go to school and obtain two masters degrees simultaneously.  Afterwards, she continued her education in Connecticut at Southern Connecticut State University and obtained her doctorate degree in Education.

Dr. McEntire has worked in various districts throughout Connecticut, before coming to Naugatuck High School.  She is also the co-founder of Booker T. Washington Academy in New Haven.

She also actually has a past with NHS! Her initial experience at Naugy was to help the teachers and staff members deal with disputes and social issues.  She helped teach the staff new information and helped resolve conflict between individuals after racial issues transpired in our community.

When a position opened up for the associate principal at the high school, Dr. McEntire saw this as a positive opportunity to help make direct change within our school.  She also stated that due to her prior work done here, the transition was encouraged and positively received.

In an interview with the principal, Mr. Harris, he positively shared, “I am so excited to have Dr. McEntire as part of our team. She has integrated seamlessly with the other administrators and with our school counselors to oversee our student supports and interventions, and I look forward to her bringing her ideas and expertise to NHS to ensure that all of our students grow into the Vision of the Graduate.

Dr. McEntire proudly shared that she remains in contact with her very first class of students.  She uses that as representation for her connection with the students.  She wants every student to feel open to speak with her.  

Dr. McEntire was very enthused to tell about her current plans for a better student experience at the high school.  She began the idea to incorporate math or English intervention labs where students receive direct help with their work.

She is also excited for students to participate in National Hispanic/Latinx Heritage Month that she helped spread awareness about around the school.  

These are only the first of Dr. McEntire’s plans to make a better student experience within the Naugatuck High School and she promises more ways that she will improve the school over the time she will spend here.  She encourages students to make good choices because these are some of the quickest and most important years of a person’s life.