Parent Conferences 2016

Parent teacher conferences were held on March 22, 23, and 24. They went off without a hitch and there was a great turn out. Many parents met with their children’s teachers to see how they are doing in school; others had concerns about their children so they went to talk about that. At Naugatuck High School parent conferences are held twice a year once per semester, in October and March.

During parent conferences parents and many students roamed the halls, anticipating an opportunity for open communication with teachers. Parents willingly stopped to answer questions and all were positive about their conference experiences.

This year is an especially exciting year for the high school as they were finally able to see the reactions of parents who were seeing the renovated high school for the first time. Parents who have kids who have been in the high school for the past three years would get to see the exciting changes. Parents who have first year kids get to see a new exciting school and all it has to offer their children.

When asked if six days of parent conferences a year was enough Ken, a father of a Naugatuck High School freshman, replied, “yes”.

Mr. Pardee, a Naugatuck High School physics teacher, commented, “As long as there is regular contact home. If the only contact you have is those six days then it’s not enough.” Another teacher Mrs.Corcoran, a Naugatuck physical science teacher, responded saying, “I wanna say yes, but I wanna say no because I don’t know how much they are paying attention unless there is a face to face.”

Teachers have favorite parts of parent conferences and parts that are not so welcome. Mrs.Dunn, a Naugatuck High School 10th grade English teacher, replied, “My least favorite part is not knowing who is just gonna pop in and not being prepared for those people. My favorite part is being able to see the parents and brag about their kids.”

Mrs. Corcoran, commented, “Waiting for the parents and the ones that just pop in are probably my least favorite…My favorite part is the face to face, it’s nice to get to sit down and talk to them.”

Mr.Leary, a dean of student affairs at Naugatuck High School, responded to his least favorite part of conferences by saying, “I miss being a teacher and being able to meet with parents and discuss positive things. Because now my job is discipline so very rarely do parents bother to come and see me.” Leary’s favorite part is getting to see the parents who do actually show up to speak with him.